brandonphoto

itunes authorization

Sorry for how long this post is, but I am really interested to know what others peoples opinion is of this situation.... Mine is at the very end....

Tuesday morning (10/31/06) I downloaded a song from the ITMS and when it was added to my library, the "your computer has been successfully authorized" message window came up. I thought it was strange since I didn't do anything to cause that window to open.

Anyway, After listening to my new purchase, itunes tried to play the next song in my list on my Computer, which my girlfriend bought using her account on her ibook. It then said that i needed to authorize my computer to play the song. Which is strange since My computer was already authorized..... the same thing happened with yet another song that my brother had bought using his account on his Windows XP computer. My machine had been authorized to play music from two other accounts but was suddenly unauthorized to do so. THIS WAS BEFORE THE 7.0.2 update that come out later that day. Since both of their accounts were already at 4 out of the 5 authorizations allowed, I DID NOT want to authorize my machine again since it would duplicate an authorized computer.

I emailed the itunes tech support people and this was their reply:

Dear Brandon,

I understand that you aren't able to access your brother's and girlfriend's music because this computer is requesting authorization. Authorization is requested from time to time, particularly due to an update of iTunes or another system component. Your brother and girlfriend didn't see the "Deauthorize All" option because they haven't used up their 5 authorizations. This option is only available at that time and only available once every 365 days.

In response to your request, I have deauthorized the computers associated with the accounts "**********" and "*********". You and your family can now authorize the computers you intend to use without having more than one authorization used by the same computer.

END OF EMAIL

MY OPINION:

I personally think its outrageous that they would without notice or warning deauthorize accounts on your machine. While apple did fix the situation within a day, it was still a pain not to be able to listen to music LEGITAMENTLY bought and paid for. And what if for some reason accounts were automatically unauthorized in a short amount of time.... wouldn't apple be suspicious of something going on and not help???

At least the tech support team was understanding, polite and helpful.

Sorry for how long this post is, but I am really interested to know what others peoples opinion is of this situation.... Mine is at the very end....

Tuesday morning (10/31/06) I downloaded a song from the ITMS and when it was added to my library, the "your computer has been successfully authorized" message window came up. I thought it was strange since I didn't do anything to cause that window to open.

Anyway, After listening to my new purchase, itunes tried to play the next song in my list on my Computer, which my girlfriend bought using her account on her ibook. It then said that i needed to authorize my computer to play the song. Which is strange since My computer was already authorized..... the same thing happened with yet another song that my brother had bought using his account on his Windows XP computer. My machine had been authorized to play music from two other accounts but was suddenly unauthorized to do so. THIS WAS BEFORE THE 7.0.2 update that come out later that day. Since both of their accounts were already at 4 out of the 5 authorizations allowed, I DID NOT want to authorize my machine again since it would duplicate an authorized computer.

I emailed the itunes tech support people and this was their reply:

Dear Brandon,

I understand that you aren't able to access your brother's and girlfriend's music because this computer is requesting authorization. Authorization is requested from time to time, particularly due to an update of iTunes or another system component. Your brother and girlfriend didn't see the "Deauthorize All" option because they haven't used up their 5 authorizations. This option is only available at that time and only available once every 365 days.

In response to your request, I have deauthorized the computers associated with the accounts "**********" and "*********". You and your family can now authorize the computers you intend to use without having more than one authorization used by the same computer.

END OF EMAIL

MY OPINION:

I personally think its outrageous that they would without notice or warning deauthorize accounts on your machine. While apple did fix the situation within a day, it was still a pain not to be able to listen to music LEGITAMENTLY bought and paid for. And what if for some reason accounts were automatically unauthorized in a short amount of time.... wouldn't apple be suspicious of something going on and not help???

At least the tech support team was understanding, polite and helpful.

This is a perfect example of why ALL DRM, even apples very user friendly DRM, sucks. Try http://www.emusic.com. They don't have all of the big names but they are inexpensive and allow for DRM free music downloads.